Mousehole “The loveliest village in England” Dylan Thomas 1930.
The Mousehole that we recognise today grew from the successful fishing industry of the 19th century when family owned boats filled the harbour and the catch was pressed and salted in the tiny granite cottages. The south pier was built in 1887 and the North Pier extended in 1888. Only one building remains from a previous time - The Keigwin Arms. It was here that Squire Jenkyn Keigwin lost his life defending Mousehole from invading Spanish forces in 1595. when all other buildings were destroyed. During the 13th Century, Mousehole had been a market town and partnered Marazion to make Mounts Bay’s two main commercial centres. The thriving community, developing around the part of the quay built in 1390 - the earliest built in Cornwall.
Today you will find restaurants, cafes, galleries, a grocery shop and post office, beaches, boat trips along the coast, the Wild Bird Hospital, rowing club, a biannual maritime festival, the world famous Christmas lights and New Year fireworks. Indeed many would say it is still the loveliest village in England!